Sunday, July 2, 2017

Chemistry by Weike Wang

Who has not at some point in their life felt like everything was falling apart and life was a mess? I picked up Chemistry by Weike Wang because the brief preview on Book of the Month’s caught my attention. I thought the book was going to be humorous and even inspiring, but once I got to page 115 I kept wondering where is this story going? The narrator talks about her not being able to finish her Ph.D. I won’t spoil it, but something happens in the lab that made me say, “Oh yeah, I would do that too!” At first, I could relate it is hard trying to complete a master’s or a Ph.D, but then I felt she was playing the blame game. Using the excuse of having a difficult relationship with her parents, is really not an excuse to not having the enthusiasm of finishing school. Then to top it all off, her relationship with her boyfriend is just confusing.

I mean the book is good, but maybe not my cup of tea. My favorite quote in the book was “What J.K. Rowling said during a commencement speech: There is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in the wrong direction; the moment you are old enough to take the wheel, responsibility lies with you”.  You can never go wrong with a J.K. Rowling quote!


So if you read the book, let us know what you think!

Book reviewed by Raisa

No comments:

Post a Comment