Sunday, September 17, 2017

Why do I read?

Why do I read? I often find myself pondering this question in the middle of the night, when I can’t sleep and my thoughts are the only ones keeping me company. I’m a reader for various reasons. In fact, I can’t just give you a reason. It’s not only that I am fascinated as to how authors connect words to form beautiful sentences. How do they do it?! It’s not only that some stories are so inspiring that once you are done reading the book, you think anything is possible. It’s not the gorgeous illustrations on children’s books. It’s so many things.

I started to read books when my parents decided to move from Los Angeles to the city we currently live. I remember that I loved going to the library in Los Angeles. My mom would take me to the Florence Library in Los Angeles. I loved it! My mom would sit on one of those small children’s chair and watch me as I picked a book to read. Who am I kidding? I picked lots of books. She had to put some books back because the walk back home was exhausting. Carrying all those books and a bag full of pan dulce plus a gallon of milk can be hard. (Okay, I know this library deserves another story.)

 At the elementary school I attended I loved the library. The library was a small place filled with giant plush toys on top of the bookshelves. I vividly remember a huge Clifford. All the tables had dark blue castle-shaped pencil holders. I love that library. Yet, I don’t remember reading much.I just remember going to the library.

So we moved to this new city in 2000. Honestly, I thought it was the worst thing that happened to me as a kid in the middle of 4th grade. In my mind, I was so like the girl version of Scottie Smalls. I did not have many friends in this new boring city. So I found solace in books. No one could bother me and no one could judge me because I did not have nice, pretty clothes or shoes. The book that comes to mind is Faith and the Electric Dogs by Patrick Jennings. I read this book over and over and over. I may have shed a tear here and there, I just wanted to be able to get in a box and fly away like Faith!

Then, my teacher Ms. Owen’s began reading to us each day after recess this book called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Little did I know, what this book would do for me and so many kids my age. So I found a friend in reading. Books were one of my first friends, when I moved from Los Angeles.

Life did not get any easier in middle school. Once again, I was an outcast. Same story but meaner kids. The library was my safe haven. Let’s be honest, bullies don’t really go to the library. In high school, I read so many books and I met one of the most kindest librarians. Now this is another story for another day.

A few years later, I read because I just … love reading! I love being able to read and learn new information or escape to a different place with the comfort of a warm cup of tea by my side. Now that I work with middle school kids, I hope to help them find a book that makes them lifelong readers.  

Post by Raisa

No comments:

Post a Comment